RIP Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam: 10 Facts You Din’t Know About The Missile Man Of India
Finally, the missile man of India, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam has breathed his last. He died yesterday night at Shillong. The former President of India was there in Shillong to present a thesis to students at IIM. He suddenly felt chest pain and collapsed on the dias while he was presenting the paper. He was immediately taken to the hospital but the doctor certified his death then only.
When we talk about Abdul Kalam, he was a man with so much of good quality. A good human being, a thinker, writer, orator – he is a lot more than mere words can even explain. Here are 10 facts you din’t know about Dr. Abdul Kalam:
1. APJ Abdul Kalam was a newspaper boy during his schooling. He was born to a poor Muslim family and his intense urge to study more forced him to find means to go to school. He played the role of a newspaper boy and earned money.
2. It is said that Kalam used to wake up early morning 4am to take bathe so that he can attend Maths class. The teacher who only teaches five students during the session was very adament that all his students should come to his classes only after taking bath.
3. Dr. Vikram Sarabhai acted as the mentor and guide to Kalam. He gave Kalam valuable advice on how to always reach for the stars.
4. Abdul Kalam really got shattered for the first time after his first major project SLV-3 failed.
5. Abdul Kalam was a part of country’s first nuclear test Smiling Buddha though he was not a participant in its development, test site preparation and weapon designing.
6. Abdul Kalam’s first achievement in his career was designing a small helicopter for the Indian Army. He had joined Kalam joined Aeronautical Development Establishment of Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) as a scientist and was neither convinced nor was happy with the job.
7. Abdul Kalam was awarded the Youth Icon Of the year Award by MTV in 2003 and 2006 respectively.
8. The Bharat Ratna was conferred on Dr. Kalam by K. R. Narayanan who was then President of India.
9. APJ Abdul Kalam was one of the few young scientists sent by Dr Vikram Sarabhai for training of ‘sounding rockets’ at the National Aeronautics Space Agency in the US.
10. Abdul Kalam was never scared to share what he felt was right and had advised Sonia Gandhi not to become the Prime Minister of India in 2004.RIP Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam: 10 Facts You Din’t Know About The Missile Man Of India by Gayathry